Home Forums Design Discussion Religion and Deities
Tagged: 
This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dwright13 6 days, 19 hours ago.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Sandboxer Participant
      January 10, 2017 at 7:03 pm #1437

Assuming that there will be some form of healing in the game… has there been any mention of religion and / or the Gods of this world that Intrepid Studio’s is crafting?

If they do exist in game I wonder if they would just be in the background lore of the game or if they would play a more prominent role and have some direct impact on the world and characters (i.e. quests, trade skill recipes etc.).

What are some of your thoughts on this topic?

A bit early I know but always fun to talk 🙂

• Julemanden Participant
      January 10, 2017 at 9:02 pm #1444

I havent heard a single shred of this yet, we are basicly only told that we arrive at a world with ancient forces and beings, so it possible I suppose 🙂
      Gods and deities can make alot of sense, but I feel like they can reach further than just healing 🙂 Having some mechanic where you actively “pray” to one god, make offerings and such, and they actually mean something could be fun. But overall not much info 🙁

Don't forget Jule is watching 🙂

• Sandboxer Participant
      January 10, 2017 at 10:32 pm #1449

I think your on to something…

Would be kind of different if we didn’t select a deity at startup and instead our actions would then dictate what sphere of influence that we fall under (i.e. say War, Death, Art, Greed, Life, Hope etc.). Then perhaps there are then God’s within those respective spheres that grant players a benefit directly via buffs (say an invisible proc with some effect that goes off in combat) or bonuses to spells and class abilities, and indirectly via unlock of quests and other meaningful game play.

Residents of a city node could unlock a church to that specific deity once a number of worshipers that take residence contribute in some way in game.

The numbers of worshipers of each deity / church increasing would then further unlock bonuses and change the type of NPC’s that spawn in the world to a lesser degree. For example a server where the God of Underworld and God of Fire have the majority of worshipers would then have noticeably more NPC / monster spawn (and unique loot associated with them) that share a connection with that deity and their sphere of influence. No two servers would be the same in this regard if there were enough choices in game.

You could really shake things up if the diametrically opposing deities worshipers setup a church in the same (or neighboring) city that could result in some more fun and meaningful PvP. Killing X number of the opposing sect unlocks a timed bonus in the form of a buff or some other reward.

Nothing would be static as the player population over time may lean towards new deities and again change the world. The population of worshipers for a deity may dwindle (or grow) and their existing churches within city nodes (or entire city for that matter) are either toppled or further established (unlock next tier).

• dwright13 Participant
      January 11, 2017 at 4:17 am #1456

Would be a neat system. My only concern is that they are already promising so much that other MMOs have also promised and have let us down. Tbh, the world changing of this game reminds me of EQ:Next which was ultimately cancelled. Like I said, would be neat but I’d rather them focus on making their promised systems and mechanics not only working, but enjoyable to play, before adding more stuff xD

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.